About The Fox and Treaty Four

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

As I Step into the Circle of the Drum by Skyler Cyr





As I step into the circle of the drum, I feel a real homely feeling as right away Gordie Waste’ste busts out a wicked joke. I sit at the drum waiting to sing and the announcer with his loud voice yells for our drum group. “Elks Whistle bring in our grand entry boys!”

We start singing and I can feel the excitement of all of us boys sitting around the drum together and singing. I come to realize I am singing with a legend, Angelo Waste’ste. Feels good to sing with this guy, but during the grand entry song they pass me the second lead and my stomach fills with adrenaline as I take the lead.

After the grand entry the drum beside us sings for the Girls Fancy Shawl. As they are singing we are thinking of what song to sing for the Girls Jingle. So Gordie comes up with one of my favourite songs from the Young Bear singers, and did we sing the heck out of that song.

So as our drum and the other drum go through the categories of dance we get to the Boys Chicken and this is my category of dance. I start to sing one of my favourite tunes from Blackfoot Confederacy to Gordie and he says, “yep that’s the one.” He teaches the rest of the boys the song and the chicken dancers come out, and we give them that song. It was a great experience for me because I never really get to sing chicken songs because I’m always dancing to them, but this time it was very worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment