About The Fox and Treaty Four

Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Sequins, Beads and Mirrors Shone in the Afternoon Sun

I go to the Treaty Four Gathering because I love to learn more about different cultures and people. It’s exciting to see the dancers and horses and their elaborate regalia. This was, of course, not my first time at Treaty Four. Our class went every year back in Elementary school. I haven’t been there since Grade five, though, so I don’t remember much of what happened.

My favorite part about going is the dancers and watching them perform. I’ve always found their regalia fascinating and the colours on them are brilliant. This was the reason I chose to interview one of them.

Our group talked to one of the younger dancers, Madison Bird. What I loved about the interview was seeing her regalia and taking pictures of it in the light. She told us all about how her kokum made it for her. All of the sequins and beads and mirrors shone so well in the afternoon sun. I also got a few good photos of her dancing. It’s really a good thing I brought my camera. The one from the school wasn’t nearly as good.

By Bethany





No comments:

Post a Comment